[linux-audio-dev] SBLive driver status -correction..

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] SBLive driver status -correction..
From: Ivar Vasara (ivar_AT_vcn.bc.ca)
Date: ke marras 03 1999 - 15:24:23 EST

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Ivar Vasara wrote:
> (also, it was made clear that the creative binary driver was basically the
> open source driver precompiled for people afraid of gcc.
> ie: not involving proprietary code)

I'm sorry. There appears to be a completely seperate binary driver, not
related to the open source one.. read on for details...

"Garin Hiebert" <ghiebert_AT_creaf.com>
1999-11-03 14:30:40
<quote snipped>

Please note that the proprietary driver Creative is developing is an
entirely different code base. It was not forked from the Open Source code
at any point. Creative has been working for quite a while now to develop a
large binary module to be used on many platforms, and this is the code
that will become the "proprietary" code base for Linux and other operating
systems.

This may still cause concern as it doesn't look efficient, but trust me
when I say that corporate efficiency is not at all similar to Open Source
efficiency -- the company knows how to develop proprietary code extremely
well and for us to abandon that model would be a very bad idea. Do
remember that Creative supports some operating systems where the customers
wouldn't know how to (or have the tools to) compile their own drivers. ;-)
Historically, we've done a pretty good job supporting those customers. Now
we're trying to serve the Open Source community as well, which I think is
a Good Thing.

Summing up -- take the Open Source code base and be happy with it. Those
of us at Creative who work with Linux are very excited to have been able
to distribute this code, and some of us will be working on it.

>2. Users will be confused, because there is word of an open source
>driver, but it does
> not support all features, and there is another driver, which seems to
>be "free" (you
> can download for gratis) which supports them. The user should
>understand that the latter
> is not free software...

I think things will be clear enough -- much like the decision to use OSS
versus OSS-Lite versus ALSA drivers today.

Garin Hiebert
Software Engineer
Creative Labs Inc.

Sorry about the confusion, I thought I knew what I was talking about.. :(

Regards,
        Ivar