Re: [linux-audio-dev] O_NONBLOCK in OSS

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] O_NONBLOCK in OSS
From: Billy Biggs (vektor_AT_DIV8.NET)
Date: ti marras 16 1999 - 00:17:56 EST

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> > If I open the device O_NONBLOCK, my app skips alot, with lots of
> >annoying clicks happening every buffer. Shortening the buffer size
> >increases the annoying click factor.
> > If I remove O_NONBLOCK from the open call, the app doesn't skip at all,
> >and sounds perfect.
>
> for quickest service: send me your code. are you doing things
> differently in non-blocking mode ? i *hope* so - doing the same thing
> will indicate to the driver that you don't care if your write failed
> because there wasn't enough space in the h/w buffer.

  Well, okay, so I'm doing the same code for both. If I'm in nonblocking
mode, what do I need to do to ensure that sound goes okay?

  The real issue is that I cannot have the app block if the soundcard
cannot be opened immediately. That's the point of the O_NONBLOCK flag.
OSS shouldn't give it any more meaning than that.

--
Billy Biggs                         vektor_AT_div8.net
http://www.div8.net/billy       wbiggs_AT_uwaterloo.ca