Re: [linux-audio-dev] [Fwd: Fw: Save OMS! Sauvez OMS! [ot]]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [Fwd: Fw: Save OMS! Sauvez OMS! [ot]]
From: Francois Dechelle (Francois.Dechelle_AT_ircam.fr)
Date: su marras 28 1999 - 12:37:29 EST

Thomas Hudson wrote:

> Francois Dechelle wrote:
> >
> > There is already a software that does more or less what OMS
> > does and that is free software, distributed under GNU Lesser
> > General Public License. It is MidiShare, by Grame. See
> > http://www.grame.fr/MidiShare/MidiShare.html for further
> > information.
> >
> I didn't know that midishare implemented all the functionality
> of OMS. One of the pieces that I thought OMS implemented that
> is missing from the linux world is the ability of the user to
> describe his setup of connected midi devices. It would be nice
> if every application could present input and output choices
> as real devices rather than card/port/channel numbers.
>
> If OMS were open-sourced, the good parts could be integrated
> with other projects like MidiShare.
>
> Thomas

Hi,

This feature is present in midishare, and midishare exists
now on linux.

However, MidiShare simply cannot replace OMS and vice/versa,
mainly because of applications that are build using the OMS
API.

But there may be a good joke to do: building an emulation
of the OMS API using MidiShare (or another free MIDI
framework). This way, applications do not have to be modified
(which will anyway not happen because they are proprietary),
we don't care about Gibson and the MIDI framework is free.

What do you think of this ?

Francois