Re: [linux-audio-dev] acid, linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] acid, linux
From: Thomas Hudson (thudson_AT_tomy.net)
Date: to joulu  02 1999 - 09:17:57 EST

Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> Perhaps other people who are still considering whether they want to do
> something similar could also join in. Basically, writing a middleware
> like MCOP is a lot of work. It is more or less as complete as CORBA (at
> least the relevant parts I used) in it's current development stadium,
> though not everything works fine yet, but it supports

Have you considered ILU? I don't claim to be that knowledgable of ILU,
but I seem to remember it doing something similar to what COM does on
windows. If the object is invoked in the same process space, the overhead
is equivalent to a function call. Out of process but machine local is
still optimized by using shared memory. And it will fall back to RPC
when the object it not local to the machine. It might save you a lot of
work.

I believe ILU was considered for GNOME but the licensing was screwy.
Since then Xerox has changed the licensing, it may be more palatable
now.

Thomas