[linux-audio-dev] Silly audio problem

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Silly audio problem
From: Billy Biggs (vektor_AT_DIV8.NET)
Date: ma joulu  13 1999 - 20:31:42 EST

Hi,

  I'm wondering if I could get an objective opinion on an annoying problem I'm
having. I'm almost positive the bug is my fault, I'm just looking for thoughts
on what might be the problem.

  I'm programming an internet telephony app. I read in audio off the soundcard
at mono 16bit, 8000 samples/sec. I then convert the 16bit shit audio to even
worse mu-law 8bit audio and stream it out the network. I get mu-law input from
the network which I then play back out the soundcard.

  I've got an ens1370 card (AudioPCI) and am using ALSA 0.4.1h (debian potato
package).

  The problem is this: The sound on the receiving end sounds really awful,
then switches and sounds good for a while, but then sometimes falls back to
sounding awful again. The bass gets this big rumbling sound and it kinda
sounds like it's clipping. Definitely sounds chunky.

  Often, if it's playing all chunky like, if I run 'aumix' to fix the volume,
that triggers it back to sound-okay mode.

  Any ideas what might cause this behavior? I'm likely doing something
obviously wrong, I've just been staring at it too long. The code is very
simple though.

--
Billy Biggs                         vektor_AT_div8.net
http://www.div8.net/billy       wbiggs_AT_uwaterloo.ca