Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sequencers & scheduling

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sequencers & scheduling
From: David Slomin (david.slomin_AT_av.com)
Date: ma tammi  10 2000 - 17:42:01 EST

Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu wrote:

> Some time ago I wrote a C++ code that work just like this with a generic
> Event class. It uses absolute tempo instead of beats and nanosleep.
> Abortion mechanism is included. If you want, I can send it to you.
>
> BTW, I'm really interested in what you are doing.

Thanks Maurizio!

I'm actually really busy these days between big doings at the day job
and house hunting, so I'm not making too much progress on my sequencer
project, PEGS. I really hate myself for talking this much about
vaporware, but I'm still too excited about the project to keep silent.

However, I do have the event list data structure and related routines
pretty much coded already. I've been itching to code up the display
routines which I've already completely designed, and will do so as
soon as I get the chance. If I hook these together with a Dynamic
Java console, it will be useable enough for an initial (0.1.0)
release, although there are enough entries in my task list to
have at least five full releases before it's ready for end-users
(1.0.0).

Actually, even though I've thought a bit about the playback
scheduling before (it's nice to have verification that my concept
works!), that's not within the scope of PEGS, so I won't need it this
time. PEGS stands for Portable Event Graph System, and that's what
it is, a system for displaying and editing an event list in a very
powerful graph view. It's not a dedicated MIDI sequencer, so it
delegates the job of realtime MIDI playback to a separate sequencing
engine such as ALSA-seq.

This has several benefits... First and most importantly, it lets me
focus on the part which is most important to me, and is most often
ignored in other systems, namely powerful editing. Second, it
reduces duplicated effort, since there are a number of good
sequencing engines already in existence or development. Third, it
allows PEGS to remain almost 100% Java, which makes portability
a much simpler goal to acheive.

I'd be curious to have a look at your code anyway (when I get the
chance).

Thanks,
Div.