Re: [linux-audio-dev] optimization

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] optimization
From: rob (rob_AT_kaybee.org)
Date: ke tammi  12 2000 - 18:17:53 EST

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> > my design isn't exactly optimized, but i'd like to get some idea
> >of what avenues would be the most productive to persue: what has been
> >everyones experience as far as getting performance out of their designs?
>
> how are you managing disk i/o ? are you using mmap ? are you
> multithreading ?

        it's multithreaded, however, one thread handles the midi io (the
main one which creates the other via pthread_create), the other mixes and
outputs to the sound card via write. the only interaction between the two
is a note table, which is not synchronized.
        should i move the write to the sound card into another thread
which only handles card io?
        all the samples are loaded into memory, and mixed from there
(i don't believe it is running into swap space).

                        thanks,
                          rob

----
Rob Melby
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt4255a
Internet: rob_AT_kaybee.org, gt4255a_AT_prism.gatech.edu