Re: [linux-audio-dev] buffering, latency, cut-outs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] buffering, latency, cut-outs
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: to tammi  13 2000 - 14:58:54 EST

>From: Jake Donham <jake_AT_crankshaft.bitmechanic.com>
>
>The code is not multi-threaded; we're using GTK+'s polling mechanism
>to watch the /dev/dsp file descriptor. I guess this means that GTK+

It would be better to not use GTK's mechanisms. Eventually you need
to divide the code to two threads: (i) soft-realtime audio, and (ii)
GUI. The GUI cannot be run as soft-RT process.

If you twiddle with GUI knobs, then audio could run constantly and
GUI only changes audio parameter variables in memory -- like happens
in Quasimodo. This way audio engine doesn't make dropouts.

If you control with MIDI, then I guess the MIDI reader could run
in a second soft-RT process.

 -*-

I have some code for making a child process and a shared memory between
them. Other readers have posted code to put process to soft-RT mode,
and what else...? I guess by putting those all together we could get
a simple utility library for realtime audio.

Juhana