Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: ma tammi  17 2000 - 09:57:00 EST

David Olofson wrote:

> (snip: much well-deserved Cakewalk bashing)

Another important lesson we should learn from Cakewalk is to draw
a distinction between a multi-track audio editor and an audio clip
sequencer. Cakewalk tries to blur the line between the two with
only very limited success. As you said, it doesn't keep the
distinction between different clips clear, which can make it more
frustrating to use than a tracker.

I'd love to see a good multitrack audio editor, since they're very
useful beasts. There are several promising ones which people on
this list are currently writing. However, I'm not one of these
folks... my current project is definitely a sequencer. It is
flexible in the sense that it can control the firing of audio clips
just like any other event, but it does _not_ deal with audio
directly, and would thus be terrible choice as a multitrack audio
editor.

This is higher-level version of the discussion on the MuCoS thread
which reviewed the distinction between signals and events. They
aren't different just for under-the-hood optimization... they're
also very different for GUI editing interfaces.

Div.