Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)
From: David Slomin (david.slomin_AT_av.com)
Date: ti tammi  18 2000 - 11:34:18 EST

David Olofson wrote:

> Kind of one extra dimension... I've thought some about this audio +
> MIDI integration thing, but haven't been able to think of any perfect
> solution. It's just too many dimensions for a flat screen! :-)

Actually, just representing something as simple as MIDI data is
too many dimensions for a flat screen: start time, duration, pitch,
velocity, release velocity, channel, patch, etc, etc, etc. For PEGS,
I actually came up with a way to display all of these at once in
a novel but easy to get used to manner. Other than start-time being
the X axis, any other parameter can be set to render using any of
the following means: First, the obvious ones: y-axis, color, and
pen shape (ie: a plus sign instead of a circular dot). Then, a
clever thing I call "spikes", which are rays drawn from the
event's central dot. The angle of the ray tells which parameter it
represents, and the length tells the value. For instance, try the
following:

   | |
   *------ *---

If duration was the East spike and amplitude was the North spike,
the second note would be twice as loud but half as long as the
first. This gives you eight additional easily recognisable
dimensions (eight from the compass rose) which can be displayed on
a flat screen.

> The point is that I don't want to be forced to shuffle my audio data
> between different systems (samplers, HDR,...) with very similar
> hardware and engines, just because they have slightly different UIs.

If the programs are lightweight enough and play well together, why
not? I personally can't think of a way to combine an event sequencer
and a signal editor into a single interface in a way that doesn't
make one or the other completely useless. Then again, maybe I just
haven't thought long enough on the subject.

Div.

--
David Slomin, Engineer       mailto:david.slomin_AT_av.com
AltaVista Search Solutions   http://solutions.altavista.com/