Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ke tammi  19 2000 - 20:58:49 EST

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Paul Winkler wrote:
> > > Anyway, I think the most interesting of one of those old ideas was to
> > > remove the track concept, and use the Y axis in the arrange view only
> > > for layout.
>
> Sorry, I haven't used any of these sequencers in a loooong time.
> What exactly is the "arrange view"? (Screenshot anyone?)

Here's one from CW9:
        http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/PA/TrackviewB.jpg

(Yes, the GUI is *very* slow with that configuration...)

Works pretty much like a piano roll editor, where the Y axis
addresses tracks, and the "notes" contain MIDI events or audio clips.

> But then, this is on a 2.0 kernel without all the fancy low-latency
> stuff installed yet. One of these days I really need to upgrade.
> But then again, I don't know if python is currently able to take
> advantage of realtime priority anyway! I'll look that up before I
> order another linux CD ...

Interpreted languages (and actually any language that uses garbage
collection and similar techniques) have inherent problems with real
time - you never know when the garbage collector steps in for some
cleaning! I some implementations, you can force a garbage collection
when it won't disturb the real time processing, but you may not be
able to guarantee that it won't happen an extra time in the middle of
the real time code... Further, speed might be a serious problem.
Even if it could be acceptable to eat 80% of the CPU time, you have to
buffer the results (and output them using some streamlined function,
preferably in native code), to get rid of the jitter that grows with
execution time.

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Rock Solid, Hard Real Time, |
| Plugin & Integration Standard | | Low Latency Signal Processing |
`------> www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `--> www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -'
| Audio Hacker, Linux Advocate, Open Source Advocate, Singer/Composer |