Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ke tammi  19 2000 - 22:12:41 EST

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, David Olofson wrote:
> > There is a lot of work to do on this, but I thought it could be worth
> > pointing out that MIDI is just a very restrictive communication
> > protocol - not the definition of how synths and samplers should work!
>
> Actually defining a new standard transport medium for MIDI would fix a lot
> of things. 38400 baud really isnt enough anymore. 10baseT anyone?

There are a few new protocols available - most failed, as they only
give a slight improvement and means that you need new software, new
interfaces, new synths etc... (Or you're back at square one, with
SomeNewProtocol->MIDI converters all over the place.)

MIDI does work pretty well for most people, and there's an awful lot
of machines to modify. A new standard has to be a lot better than
MIDI, inexpensive to implement in existing desings, and it must
already be supported by the big guys in the industry, before anyone
builds it into a new machine. There are some synths that take standard
MIDI data over high speed serial ports as an alternative to the
normal MIDI In, but that's as far as it'll get in a long time, I'm
afraid...

The point with my protocol on top of the MuCoS event system is that
we're already dealing with completely new stuff, so we might as well
do it right while we're at it. Hardware support is not required, and
there's no de facto standard for plugin and multimedia integration
on UN*X platforms anyway. Finally, the primary use for this protocol
is controlling plugins and clients in native processing environments
- not controlling external devices.

Note: That doesn't mean it'll survive and become an accepted standard!
Only time will tell...

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Rock Solid, Hard Real Time, |
| Plugin & Integration Standard | | Low Latency Signal Processing |
`------> www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `--> www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -'
| Audio Hacker, Linux Advocate, Open Source Advocate, Singer/Composer |