Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)
From: jfm3 (jfm3_AT_acm.org)
Date: ma tammi  24 2000 - 17:14:54 EST

David Slomin wrote:

> Not to ignore all the good postings on the sequencer thread, but I
> only have time for a quick response before getting back to work. :-)
>
> jfm3 wrote:
> >
> > I agree. The problem is when I want "real time" sequencing with "logic" (not
> > Logic(TM)). If I want to give a command to my sequencer like "in this given
> > MIDI pattern, reduce all CC#11's greater than 72 to 72." my only hope is with a
> > little extension/command language. It's a hard problem and any solution is
> > impressive.
>
> Have you ever thought about using C as your "extension/command
> language"? Sure, it's not interpreted, but we're Linux users,
> right, so everybody has the compiler. Create a set of easy-to-use
> APIs for modifying MIDI (or other) events and use them to write
> separate tiny programs for each song. That way you get the best of
> both worlds... customizability in a language which most people
> already know (sorry Paul), and latency under your own control.
>
> This isn't very far removed from the concept of writing plugins to
> run under MuCoS or such, but the difference is that the API should
> be such that these would be as easy to code as small scripts in an
> interpreted language.

This is basically what I do now. It's OK, but something that did the drudge work of
MIDI sequencing with a nice extension language would be far preferable. Recompiling
a C program is not "Real Time" enough. :) It is hard to have a key binding effect
functionality. You have to be into systems like Emacs to see the advantages of an
extension language (as opposed to a system or implementation language). I'm not
sure I'm in the right frame of mind to try to describe it in 25 words or less right
now.

Let me think of a good example and I'll post later.

(jfm3)

P.S. after thinking carefully about libc and the STL for a while, I doubt that
"latency under your own control" is more easily won in C/C++ than in Guile or
Python.