Re: [linux-audio-dev] BeOS everywhere

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] BeOS everywhere
From: Matt J. Ingalls (ingalls_AT_mills.edu)
Date: ti tammi  25 2000 - 12:04:34 EST

well, you forgot to mention that BeOS (at least the upcoming desktop 5.0
version) will be FREE - which to me seems like a (desperate) move to try
to catch up to Linux's "mainstream momentum" - i doubt it will work but i
really hope so!

as an experimental musician-turned audio programmer so i could eat-person
i am interested in Linux more conceptually/politically - but i think will
continue to write my own performance things w/ BeOS - because its so easy
and elegant -- perhaps linux audio dev is not as bad as i think (im
lurking on this list to find out)

and as far as making $$ programming - i have been lately actually been
makins some working on a BeOS audio application for a company other than
steinberg - so there are other things outthere being developed - whether
they actually see the light of day is another story.

-matt
www.concentric.net/~Mingalls

> It seems that BeOS is no longer the
"media OS", it's
the "internet appliance OS" or possibly the "internet media appliance OS":
> http://www.benews.com/story/2791.1.html
>
> I had great hopes for BeOS once, as i was hoping to use it instead of W
 indows for my commercial audio software. Only one of those (Logic) is
being ported to BeOS now. Some ports of pro audio software (e.g. Steinberg Nuendo), have been canceled or put on hold because of Be Inc's new "internet strategy". It seems that without the focus on media applications from Be Inc, BeOS won't make it in the Pro Audio arena.

> Now to the REAL question. What does this mean for Linux? It's the only
"alternative pro-audio OS" le ft for x86 workstations IMHO. As it has more
mainstream momentum, it has a much better chance of being "the next
atari", than BeOS ever had.