Re: [linux-audio-dev] BeOS everywhere

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] BeOS everywhere
From: Constantin Lazarev (const_lazarev_AT_hotmail.com)
Date: ke tammi  26 2000 - 16:47:35 EST

Hi,

>Benno Senoner <sbenno_AT_gardena.net> writes:
> > I think what scares audio SW vendors developing on linux is that
> > the linux audio area is still work in progress ( ALSA still in the
>development
> > stage, no application integration, bad realtime-behaviour until now
>etc).
>
>Well, Steinberg developed ASIO because the audio stuff on windows was not
>good
>enough right ?
>
>So, what is the problem ? ;->

I think that a problem is in some limitation of standard audio interface in
Linux (I mean OSS). There are no support for multi-stream hardware (16 and
more hardware streams), no standard support for hardware acceleration. But
the main problem (as I think) it's limitation to add third part drivers in
the OSS. Why consumer should to reconfigure and recompile entire kernel to
obtain support of his audio card. Why just don't start script that installs
audio driver without any configuration/compilation of the kernel. I
understand that consumer may have to recompile driver itself (this may be
performed with script too). But why entire kernel? Or Linux community is so
sure that any consumer should be programmer or sysadmin at least.
Another issue is that someone from Linux community says to hardware vendors
that "we need no your close-source drivers at all just give us documentation
for your device". I understand that may me the community is able to support
whole variety of hardware (though, I'm not sure). But have not to forget
that sometimes (almost any time) it is not possible for hardware
manufacturer to open hardware documentation or driver source code due to
some know-how and licensed solutions that may be used in that hardware.
I think that it is not possible to make Linux one of most popular OS for
hardware manufactures and, therefore, consumers without solution of these
issues. But it is, of course, only my point of view as driver designer and
consumer.

With best regards.
Konstantin Lazarev
Conexant Systems, Inc.