Re: [linux-audio-dev] BeOS everywhere

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] BeOS everywhere
From: Fredrik (aeonek_AT_home.se)
Date: ke tammi  26 2000 - 18:29:18 EST

> I think what scares audio SW vendors developing on linux is that
> the linux audio area is still work in progress ( ALSA still in the development
> stage, no application integration, bad realtime-behaviour until now etc).

I can't say i blame them. As you point out, there are some issues, but they are being resolved, aren't they?

> Anyway I see the linux audio field only prosper in near future, and it's really
> great to have an OS where the audio API is not driven by money but
> by developers, each of them having great ideas.

So far. But what happens if Steinberg and the others decide to jump on the Linux bandwagon? In some ways, the lack of interest from the Pro Audio vendors is a good thing. Don't take this the wrong way, i'd love to see commercial audio apps on linux, but if Steinberg ported their VST-based apps to linux, where would that put MuCoS?

> Finally I think Linux on te audio scene will be more than "only" a next atari.
> :-)

Well, atari was just an example of a computer that was very succesful in the Pro Audio world. Of course, you can do a lot more with a 700 Mhz Athlon than a 7 Mhz 68000.

    /Fredrik