Re: [linux-audio-dev] BeOS everywhere

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] BeOS everywhere
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: to tammi  27 2000 - 17:43:46 EST

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, David Olofson wrote:
>
> [MuCoS vs VST]
> > This is the way it's always been with Free Software, but I believe
> > some more "Worse is Better" and a little less of Creating the Perfect
> > Design could help - working but ugly code is better than no code at
> > all. However, there also has to be a chance of fixing that ugly
>
> My thoughts exactly. ;) We need to have something more concrete. I've
> visited the MuCoS web site a few times, but I really don't have the
> time to fully understand your visions and plans.

I don't blame you! *hehe* It might look simpel to me, but there's
quite a lot of details, and still no real documentation, or complete
API headers. I'm working on the latter, though...

> I don't know about the rest of you, but I've always been a bit
> skeptical about team/group-work methods. I think it's better, that
> there is one or two project leaders who have a clear vision about
> what they are doing, and then there are others who help by giving
> comments and doing implementation work.

Well, it seem like that's about what is going on here right now - the
difference is that this project started with an Open Design
discussion, rather than a single person designing/hacking on his/her
own. I didn't really plan it this way; I happened to get in the
middle of an open discussion when I joined this list! I was actually
looking for something useful for Audiality... :-)

> I still believe that when MuCoS gets more mature, many application
> developers will join the project. Now, when MuCoS is just another good
> design, people prefer to concentrate on their own projects... (I know
> I do).

Exactly, and I wouldn't blame anyone for that. There's nothing to
hack, and you can't even use the header files in your own code yet...
Just some boring reading! *hehe*

> And please do post code samples, etc to this list. That's the best
> way to raise discussion. URLs are easy to ignore, but code samples
> are another thing. ;)

Yeah, you get to see the *interesting* stuff right away! :-)

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Rock Solid, Hard Real Time, |
| Plugin & Integration Standard | | Low Latency Signal Processing |
`------> www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `--> www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -'
| Audio Hacker, Linux Advocate, Open Source Advocate, Singer/Composer |