[linux-audio-dev] gdk_input_add freezing

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] gdk_input_add freezing
From: David Topper (topper_AT_virginia.edu)
Date: pe helmi  04 2000 - 19:06:57 EST

Hi folks,

I've got a little app. with a bunch of sliders that I also use to read
in midi data. I use the following syntax to make it all work:

  /* MIDI */
  midi_fd = MIDI_open();
  gdk_input_add (midi_fd,
   GDK_INPUT_READ,
   GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC(cb_midi_parse),
   NULL);

This worked just fine a few months back, on a machine with a sound card
and OSS midi. Now I'm using my laptop with a serial midi device.
Things are slightly different in how I open the port and whatnot, but
not anything that should make a difference to GTK/GDK.

But the main problem is that the cb_midi_parse function seems to "take
over" whenever there are midi events coming in. Control is not released
to the "slider window." I'm wondering what conditions might cause this
(eg., global variable state, scope issues, etc...). Or if this is
something that has developed recently with a newer GTK (I'm using a
newer version than I had originally). Or perhaps I need to configure
something about gdk_intput_add? I'm lost here.

I can unplug my MIDI cable and fire up the app, no problem. As soon as
I plug in, however, the cb_midi_parse function takes 100% control (eg.,
window doesn't get redrawn, etc...). This is no doubt due to the fact
that midi_fd is getting bytes and hence triggering the callback.

Advice would be seriously appreciated. This all worked so well once
upon a time, it would be a shame if I could no longer use GTK/GDK for
the project.

Thanks alot. Email responses preferred (I'm not subscribed to the
app-devel list).

Sincerely,

Dave Topper

--
Technical Director - Virginia Center for Computer Music
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~djt7p