Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: Bill Schottstaedt (bil_AT_ccrma.Stanford.EDU)
Date: ma helmi  07 2000 - 09:21:30 EST

> * each track in its own file (i.e. non-interleaved)
> * multi-GB files
> * 24+ track
> * 48/96kHz sample rates

I think Snd can do all this -- I'll write some documentation
on loading/saving/editing edit lists (as I understand it, you want
a bunch of mono sources and a way to combine them and edit
the result that doesn't write a new sound -- this is actually easy
to do in Snd, but it's not the way I normally work). If there's a
problem with multi-GB files, it's an OS limitation. I've been
working lately on making Snd more responsive when dealing with
huge files (i.e. in the 500MB range).

> If nothing else, perhaps several of us could join together and port
> Snd to GTK+.

That would be great! I'd be happy to try to help. When I
started work on Snd, Motif was the only available "industry-
strength" GUI system; at that time it appeared that Lesstif
would be viable "soon". (Actual work was done on the SGI since
Linux at that time was not what it is today).

> but it doesn't seem to have a way to save the edit
> without writing a new version of the file.

The save state menu option is the easiest way to do this.

> that LessTif is an Achilles' heel for Snd.

Wasn't there some mention of Paris earlier? Lesstif is slowly
getting better -- like other such projects, it depends on the
interest and time of volunteers. There is a "real" Motif
available now in Linux for $50.

> Snd is very powerful, but I think of it as a programmer's soundfile editor

So do I! Like CLM, for that matter -- see "interest" above...