Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ti helmi  08 2000 - 12:14:06 EST

>Good point. ;) Temporal edits in the middle of audio data (cut,
>insert) will be inefficient. But again, IMHO this is another level
>of audio editing.

Absolutely. But its the level required in a commercial studio, whether
we like it or not.

                   If you start moving drum hits around, maybe it's
>time to do a re-take... :)

I think you need to try working with a 26 piece percussion ensemble,
all of whom were out till 3am the night before, packed into a room too
small to get them all in without acoustic bleed through, various
personal tensions in place, and a lot of time pressure to get the
stuff recorded. Under such circumstances, "uh, we need to do a retake
of the ghatam player's last 3 minutes because the loudest hit is out
by about 10msec" is not going to endear you to a lot of people :)

                            If I need to do stuff like this, I use
>a sequencer (MIDI, tracker, audio, ...) and then export the data
>to the multitrack environment.

Right. So the question is, can one do this sort of thing without going
all the way to ProTools, or not ?

>> With an ADAT recorder, you can specify the crossfade time that is used
>> when you punch-in and punch-out (start and stop
>> recording/overdubbing). This varies from about 1 to 50msecs as I
>> recall. The end result, on the ADAT anyway, is a splice in the data as
>> any existing recording is faded out and the new stuff fades in. There
>> is no record of either of the original data streams - just the
>> resulting mix. I can see no way that you could come back later and
>> alter the crossfade in such a system - you don't have the original
>
>Hmm, I'd record the punched material into a separate file (hey,
>diskspace is cheap). Replacing previously recorded material makes
>sense with traditional recording gear, but in a computer-based
>recording setup, I don't think it's necessary. And this makes undoing
>easy.

OK, I'll buy that. But now, without an edit/play list, how do you
propose to play it back correctly ? The material is no longer in a
single contiguous file, and I thought that this was a requirement for
ecasound ?

As a point of reference, I asked some studio people how many punch
in/out's they might typically do in the course of a 40 minute ADAT
tape. The answer seems to vary a lot depending on the artists being
recorded, but the order of magnitude was 10-100. The Alesis M30 allows
up to about 1.5secs of crossfade. If you store the cross-fade region
in its own file, thats about 6MB (at 48kHz) per punch in, or 60-600MB
for the tape. Not too bad, but not totally trivial either. It also
makes playback much more complex, and adds yet more disk seeks. Ick.

--p