Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: ti helmi  08 2000 - 22:12:11 EST

On Mon, 07 Feb 2000, Paul Winkler wrote:
> I can't answer that for you but here's another consideration.
> I think most musicians would agree with me that one's performance is
> inflected by changes in the musical context... and in modern music,
> effects are very much part of the musical context.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't have access to a protools studio
> at the moment :)...I *believe* that when you apply an effects plugin
> to a track in ProTools, unless you render the result to a track,
> it's basically as if you've just routed an effects send to an
> external processor. You can record, edit, whatever, and you don't
> have to think about that effect anymore.

That's what real time processing is all about, no matter if it's
hardware assisted or native! :-)

> You would be really annoyed if you then started to overdub a new
> track and it ignored all your effects loops because the recorder
> didn't think its job included FX routing!

Yep... And the monitor sound is *very* important, especially if
you're singing, nearly drowning your own monitor sound. It's actually
dangerous to sing with poor monitor sound, especially if you're
inexperienced, and cannot feel when you're falling out of the correct
technique...

That means, FX *has* to work all the time, or you might need an
external monitor mixer just for that.

> You'd then be forced to render all the processed tracks to new temp.
> tracks... yuck, kludge. you should never be forced to do that until
> you run out of DSP power.

Agree. That's why I'd like to be able to use clusters for
processing. *hehe*

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'