Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: ti helmi  08 2000 - 21:58:04 EST

On Mon, 07 Feb 2000, Paul Winkler wrote:
> 2) "Build On the Nines": We wrote this in the studio a section at a
> time. There are edits all over the place here, in fact *nothing* was
> recorded for more than 9 bars at a time. We used a totally different
> drum setup for each of the 9 sections. In this situation you REALLY
> need to be able to do your editing and then keep tracking as easily
> as if your edits were "real" takes.

That's pretty much how I work most of the time... I get a lot of
inspiration from the sound, so I need i to be pretty "final" right
from the start. Also, hearing something similar to the final song
makes it easier to stay in the right mood, and not freak out,
forgetting what this song was really meant to be like. (That's useful
too, but it's an entirely different way of working. I usually have a
vague idea of what the whole song will be like from the start, so I
usually want to avoid it not to lose the idea.)

> > i would rather avoid the protools all-in-one approach.
>
> Why? Too much UI to deal with all the time? Or internal reasons?
> I do get the feeling that ProTools is rather complicated and hard to
> learn. (We had the advantage of having an engineer who knew it
> really well to do things we told him while I watched. :))

Well, there are beginner friendly systems, and user friendly
systems. I believe ProTools belongs in the later group.

For example, Emacs is pretty hard to learn (especially for non-UN*X
folks who probably haven't seen any of those shortcuts before), but
you just can't get that much functionality right at your fingertips
any other way. If you need that for quick and advanced editing, you
just have to learn all those shortcuts... Or you have to go the
Windoze way, and wear out mouse after mouse pulling menues, or hit
five <ALT><letter> "shortcuts" for every function! ;-)

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'