Re: [linux-audio-dev] Software filter engines for high end audio and now DSP's

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Software filter engines for high end audio and now DSP's
From: Frank J. Carmickle (frankiec_AT_unforgettable.com)
Date: ke helmi  16 2000 - 16:37:47 EST

At 08:45 PM 2/16/00 +0100, you wrote:
>On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Frank J. Carmickle wrote:
Snip
>I don't know, but some time ago I did some calculations about theoretical
>comparison between a Pulsar and a dual Athlon at 700-800Mhz,

How about the new UP2000 boards with dual 21264 Alphas?

>(even if the SMP motherboards aren't still available, but that will change

I think that they are available now.

>soon).
>
>My conclusions are that such a SMP box is in the same performance
>league as the Pulsar, but at a fraction of the cost plus giving you
>much more flexibility.
>For example on the Pulsar you have to squeeze all your data from/to
>host through the PCI bus.
>That includes HD recording, sending/receiving data from sources

Some other good things about the UP2000 board is that it has two PCI buses,
256 bit memory bus, 128 bit paths to each of the CPUs, two 64 bit PCI
slots, AIC7891 on board, works on standard atx power supplies, and costs
around $8000 with both processors. You can get it with 600 667 or 750 MHz
processors, with either 2 4 or 8 mb of cache on the processor card.
Considering the kind of performance you are getting it works out pretty
well.

Let me know if you come up with some calculations to show the differences
in DSP like performance of the Alpha verses the Athlan.

FrankieC