Re: [linux-audio-dev] using soundcards for data communication

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] using soundcards for data communication
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: to helmi  17 2000 - 10:30:17 EST

Fredrik wrote:

> That would be tricky. V.90 is patented. Starting to see a pattern
> here?

This whole patent discussion is getting to be a bit silly. Patents
are designed to prevent you from selling a competing product. They
are absolutely not designed to stop academic research.

If V.90 is patented, that is actually _beneficial_ to my little
proposal, since it means that the protocol is documented in a
freely-available, public place.

This brings up the question: where do you draw the line? If a
noncommercial, academic research project based on a patented
technology could be perceived as a threat to a commercial product,
is it legally banned? I'm not a lawyer, but have mused on this
before.

Div.