Re: [linux-audio-dev] SEK'D Samplitude Trackspeed: 32stereo tracks on P400 , any thoughts ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] SEK'D Samplitude Trackspeed: 32stereo tracks on P400 , any thoughts ?
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: pe helmi  18 2000 - 23:04:04 EST

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> Benno writes:
>
> >Anyway this proves that linux can keep up very easily with Windoze,
> >Mac and friends when it comes to number to simultaneous tracks per
> >dollar. :-)
>
> >I think that the SEK'D engineers had to fight quite hard to get their
> >results on Windoze. :-) But anyway they did a good job.
>
> I think that Samplitude does non-destructive editing. So your test may
> not be doing all that they do, which is to play back via an
> editlist. Still a good comparison, but just a reminder that things get
> more complex in the non-destructive world.

It would be interesting to know under what circumstances Samplitude
can deliver that kind of performance. Anyway, what we're fighting
against *is* a physical limitation of the hard drives - smart
scheduling of disk accesses is all there is to it. (Not to say that
it's trivial to figure out how to minimize the seeking overhead, and
then get the fs to do the job!)

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'