[linux-audio-dev] active sensing

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] active sensing
From: Joe Miklojcik (jfm3_AT_acm.org)
Date: to helmi  24 2000 - 19:44:54 EST

I'm hacking some MIDI code (that will run on Linux) and I'm not groking
the MIDI stream grammar. There is no better forum than this one I could
imagine to ask in, so here goes.

In pbd's MIDI parser it indicates that system exclusive messages are
terminated by any status byte, except for active sensing messages. Is
this true in the standard, or is this just what most implementations do?

Are standards compliant implementations supposed to deal if I hose them
down with spurious EOX messages? Yes, I realize most implementations
break under the slightest weight, but I'm asking about true standards
compliant implementations.

Is it worth it to go out and buy a MIDI spec?

Thanks.

(jfm3)