Re: [linux-audio-dev] New subscriber

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] New subscriber
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: su helmi  27 2000 - 03:53:36 EST

>From: Bruce Forsberg <forsberg_AT_adnc.com>
>
>let me know what libraries exist. I generally don't surf the net. I
>find the internet boring.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound bad in my previous mail; just wanted to go
directly to point due lack of time. I'm using phone/modem nowadays and
it is expensive here in Finland (for all that Finland is quite at front
in telecommunications development -- well, you might know the story
of shoemaker's childs).

 -*-

David Phillip's pages at
http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linuxsound/
has everything about Linux audio.

>unique features in my library. One is the
>sample rate converter. It provides filtering and thus eliminates any

Very recently this was recommended (even over sox converters):
http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/~jos/resample/Available_Software.html

Also Carl (an old Csound type software, not the other newer Carl) has one
arbitrary ratio converter. This should be implemented in Linux.

In my opinion Sox is annoying that everything is in the one binary
and there are many options. I suggest to make it in the style of pbmplus:
   wav2x | resample 48000 44100 | x2wav
where x is our own format.

Having our own format allows us to improve it while we are progressing
and making something new which wav or other formats cannot handle.

Juhana