RE: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: to maalis 02 2000 - 13:31:55 EST

From: Benno Senoner [SMTP:sbenno_AT_gardena.net]
[...]
>Now it would be nice if one would write a very simple host (processing
linear
>chain of plugins) and a couple of example plugins (delay, simple filter)
>demonstrate the thing.

I was thinking I might have a quick go at that tonight as a proof of
concept. I'm a bit knackered so I probably won't start until tomorrow.

This NOT to suggest that we've finalised the API in any way because we
haven't, and a standard that encompasses VST would be very very cool (as
long as it's sane - I've just downloaded the SDK and joined the list -
don't know enough about it yet). Stefan Westerfield (aRts) has reopened the
plugins-per-library issue, so this needs to be resolved too, though I'm
hoping this won't be a problem.

>Time to open a CVS ? :-)
>If you want I can host a CVS repository, or should we just use sourceforge
?

No CVS just yet I don't think, but thanks for the offer - we really don't
want people hacking around until the API is finalised. I'll post the
state-of-the-art (including disagreements) on the LADSPA API at
http://www.muse.demon.co.uk/ladspa.html rather than posting code to the
list - I think people have an idea of the general thrust by now.

I'm hoping the API can be finalised quickly as I don't think there's much
more to resolve (advantages of a small scope), however Charlie Steinberg is
a big name well worth waiting a week or two for...

-- Richard