Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: su maalis 05 2000 - 08:49:58 EST

On Sun, 05 Mar 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >but I think it's plain wrong to have the API enforce hardcoding of
> >the data format into all plugin hosts. That would fragment the
> >plugins into different classes, using different formats, with few or
> >no ways of integration. Having the ability to run a 16 bit int
> >plugins together with 32 bit float plugins would eliminate the need
> >for special, incompatible versions of the API.
>
> the goal seems worthy. the result, however, will be to encourage
> situations that force the x86 to perform one of its least efficient
> operations, and one of the major reasons for the difference in x86 vs,
> say, MIPS performance when doing, for example, interpolated wavetable
> lookups: the dreaded int16<->float conversion.
>
> this is a conversion you want to do once, and once only if you have to
> do it at all.
>
> --p

Concerning the datatype discussion:

I am against of using only one datatype,
we should provide te conversion plugins, but tell plugin developer
to use floats and doubles where possible.

But I agree with David that we need some smart event-system which is able
to carry complex types of data (black boxes), which can be interpreted by
the targeted plugins.

I think we should separate the two plugin-API parts:
- one for passing streamed data between plugins (audio data processing)
( mostly floats and doubles for DSP stuff, but other types should be possible)

- the other for passing around (control) events with smart routing and
dispatching capabilities. (for MIDI stuff, controllers, inter-application
events etc)

LADSPA seems to cover the first part
the 2nd part has still to be determined with precision ,
David, have you written down your crazy ideas.
:-)

At least even if the event system is still not present,
meanwhile with LADSPA we have a VST 1.0-like API,
in order to play a bit with the plugin and host concept.

(Richard keep in mind the add() and replace() method for performance
reasons)

opinions ?

Benno.