Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: ma maalis 06 2000 - 15:45:56 EST

On Mon, 06 Mar 2000, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> >From: David Olofson <david_AT_gardena.net>
> >
> >Ok, a safe alternative to keep uneducated plugin developers from
> >mixing data formats (ie creating pro audio plugs with integer data or
> >consumer plugs with 64 bit fp data) - make it a compile time option.
>
> Compile time of what? The plug-in or the engine? Neither makes
> sense here.

Both.

(Hint: I think it's a very bad idea. :-)

> 32-bit integers does provide better resolution than 32-bit float, but
> correct me if I'm wrong. And Intel's mmx integer tech is faster than
> floats, so I read from a paper (more on that later).

And even 16 bit integer signal paths with 32 bit integer processing
is good enough for non-pro signal processing, such as multimedia
systems, games, arcade game machines and the like.

> It makes sense to allow integer streams so that no forbitten float<-->int
> conversions are done. A plug-in could provide both int and float versions
> of which the flow builder selects one which suits better.

Yes. Basically, it's a user choice to mix "pro" and "consumer"
plugins, and developers should be made aware of the problems with
mixing integer and floats on some platforms.

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'