Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: ma maalis 06 2000 - 16:25:12 EST

On Mon, 06 Mar 2000, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
>
> > I'm also forward to having multiple stream types and flexibility in the
> > system. And we seem to need both (i) float and int computations, (ii)
> > float and int streams.
>
> This is starting to look dangerous. If the plugin system requirements
> are too "high", I'm afraid that we are not going to see that many
> plugins. If I have to use custom memory allocation,

Only if you want dynamic allocation inside the run() call of an RT
capable plugin. In that case, there's no other way to do it under an
OS that's not a pure hard RTOS.

> provide routines for in-place,

Optional, although most algorithms can handle that for free...

> and addition-based processng,

Optional; "performance hack".

> routines for int and float streams,

Optional; IMHO, the rule should be floats for pro audio plugins, and
ints for less demanding consumer audio.

> In other words, I think it's better that these things are optional. We
> can give guidelines on how to write good, hard-realtime capable plugins,
> but if I want to write a "bad plugin", the plugin system shouldn't stop
> me. I might just want to experiment with some algorithm idea, and not
> bother with coding details.

Exactly. That's why I proposed the use of data conversion plugins
that the engine can throw in if needed. That's just to make it work
in situations like the one you describe, and to allow users to
borrow "that cool consumer class plugin from that game" - not
something that should be in between every other plugin in a
production system...

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'