Re: [linux-audio-dev] Greetings

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Greetings
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: ti maalis 07 2000 - 21:20:04 EST

On Tue, 07 Mar 2000, Garry Kling wrote:
> Hello all. I'm new to the list (today) and I've really enjoyed reading
> the posts. I recently patented shaving and washing my hands.

D**n!

Oh, is that "shaving and washing", or two individual patents? Ok, I
don't have too hairy hands, so I can live with it, if the case is the
former...

:-)

> I'm porting a real time audio synthesis program to Linux, so the obvious
> question is what real-time engine do you suggest? Would it be this RTC I
> read? Or has anyone experimented with any of the real time kernel hacks
> out there (RED-Linux, KURT, etc)?

I've played some with RTLinux, but this is most likely overkill. You
can quite easily process one sample at a time (!) at 48 kHz on a
modest Celeron machine, provided you have a card that allows direct
read/write of the AD/DA latches, or DMAs one sample at a time. You
cannot, however, use normal Linux drivers directly, so you have to
hack sum' to get that kind of performance. An es1370 driver + some
test code is available from the Audiality site, if you'd like to see
it;

        http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality

For anything but the most extreme applications (less than some 3 ms
latency required), I'd suggest you stay in user space, and use a
lowlatency kernel + SCHED_FIFO, as suggested by Benno. This is nice,
safe, easy, portable etc, and it *still is* hard real time (no
dropouts ever, as long as you don't overload the CPU), although you
shouldn't use less than 2 ms of buffering as of now. :-)

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'