[linux-audio-dev] O_NONBLOCK in OSS

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] O_NONBLOCK in OSS
From: Billy Biggs (vektor_AT_DIV8.NET)
Date: ma marras 15 1999 - 22:29:07 EST

Hey,

  I'm having an extremely annoying problem. I just re-wrote my dspout
class, and it's exhibiting some strange behavior I haven't seen before.

  Simple audio app, nothing fancy, outputing some data to the dsp device.
es1370 card running on 2.2.7.

  If I open the device O_NONBLOCK, my app skips alot, with lots of
annoying clicks happening every buffer. Shortening the buffer size
increases the annoying click factor.

  If I remove O_NONBLOCK from the open call, the app doesn't skip at all,
and sounds perfect.

  Is this expected behavior? I do NOT like apps blocking when, say, my
mp3 player is running. I'd like to know how to get my app to work when
it's in O_NONBLOCK mode. This doesn't seem to make much sense to me at
all.

  Advice? And quick, I want to release this app tonight! ;-)

--
Billy Biggs                         vektor_AT_div8.net
http://www.div8.net/billy       wbiggs_AT_uwaterloo.ca