Re: [linux-audio-dev] Newby(t)e

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Newby(t)e
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ti marras 23 1999 - 20:12:28 EST

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, cafu wrote:
> 1) were can I find FAQ for this list?

Um, is there one, actually?

> 2) Since I'm starting a new project in C, i wanted to know wich type are
> best suited for audio DSP under linux ... longint, float ??? wich one do
> U use for your project???

Float for the intermediate buffers and double for the internal
calculations in plugins is more or less standard for native
processing these days. You don't want to mess with integer/fixed
point processing unless you have no alternative. Also, FPUs are
very fast already, and then there are the new SIMD instruction
sets... (KNI, 3DNow!,...)

> 3) I'm gonna to implement a DirecX-like plugins system on a Audio App...
> is already something like this out there ?? I haven't still see
> anything but if I'm really the first one thinking about it.... i would
> really need your help...

We're working on it! :-)

It's called MuCoS (the Multimedia Communication System) until we find
a better name, and I was supposed to have had the site up already.
However, everything got in the way as usual...

Basically, it's a plugin API similar to VST, but cleaner, and built
around an event system (timestamped events, somewhat similar to those
of VST 2.0). Large parts of that API will also be used for an
interprocess communication system, allowing applications to connect
to each other and to dedicated engine daemons, and even to plugins
inside other applications.

The API itself will not depend on any existing standards or OS
subsystems, so it'll be no problem building plugin hosts for other
environments, or even as a Linux kernel module - perhaps using
RTLinux for timing in the µs range. (That's where I started, before
the excellent lowlatency patch by Ingo Molnar... :-)

Working on MuCoS:

  Paul Barton-Davis <pbd_AT_op.net>
        * An engine implementation, doubling as plugin API testbed.
        * Quasimodo and some other applications.

  David Olofson <audiality_AT_swipnet.se> (Me, that is.)
        * Another engine; a softsynth with some effects,
          meant primarily as a prototype.
        * The MuCoS web site and documentation.

  Benno Senoner <sbenno_AT_gardena.net>
        * Client/server implementation and API.
        * Various performance testing tools.
        * Some demonstration/proof-of-concept programs.

  Anyone else? (No specs released yet...)

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer