RE: [linux-audio-dev] acid, linux

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] acid, linux
From: MOULET Xavier CNET/DMR/ISS (xavier.moulet_AT_cnet.francetelecom.fr)
Date: ke joulu  01 1999 - 11:56:56 EST

I (with the few time & knowledge I have) am trying to build such an
interface with Glade (VERY nice App) / Gtk /(gnome ?). It sure helps a lot
defining things clearly and I am trying to do an open GUI, ie quite general
and easily expandable to other functions.

The principle is the following :
A "song" have several "Drivers" (midi, esd, oss ...?) upon which may
work some "mixers". Upon each "track" would exist some "modules" i.e. source
s defined by a position and a length, among other things. Upon these modules
can be attached some "effects".

Each of these "plugins" would have "parameters", which can be found from
many sources (read plugin, again) : midifile, step sequencer, fixed value,
sliders ...

The idea here is that fully modular apps are not that practical to work
with, ie the UI is generally confusing if you want to do some real job.

My prog would just allow you to edit the misc properties and would make it
easy to manipulate the timed information on a grid.

Now I have quite the fundations of the Interface (though there still is a
LOT of work to be done !!!) of such a prog.

AFAI am concerned, it's the CORE engine that DEFINITELY will be the hard
part. I am wondering whether I will use this or that library for my core
engine.

Thus, I am waiting eagerly of an implementation of the API discussions (or
is there one ?), and of course, of an engine.

Is there already one or many good engines fundations for such a thing ?
Would Quasimodo (without the interface) do the job or is it too Csound
oriented ?
Raw Esd ? THE API (mucows (?)), aRts ? xmms ?

What do you think of this kind of framework ?

Your advice will be of great help. There are many ones I think , but which
one is the most versatile (streaming & FX/plugins Hooks would be GREAT),
robust, etc.. etc .. ?

thanks a lot. I know a bit about signal processing, but my prog skills are,
well, not so good, at least too bad to program such an engine, at least a
reliable, fast one.

Bye,

xavier