[linux-audio-dev] deadlocks contd

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] deadlocks contd
From: Alexander König (alex_AT_rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de)
Date: pe joulu  10 1999 - 20:00:28 EST

[Was Re: SCHED_FIFO machine stalls]

First of: thanks for all your suggestions. Now I tried to investigate
the problem a little further....

Am I correct that a deadlock can only occur where I try to lock more
than one mutex? Now I did a grep -15 mutex_lock over my .cc files and
found only one piece of code where I lock two mutexes: when I start the
audio-enigne. Now the stalls occur while playing when that code is no
longer relevant.

Well I know glibc (and maybe other libs) do locking too but I have only
one fd (for the dsp) and one X-Connection and I'm pretty sure there's no
problem with these.

Now what I should mention: I have experienced stalls before with my
machine, but those seemed to be related to xawtv (Yes - there's a nice
solution to that: turn of the tv ;) so maybe the problem is not
SCHED_FIFO related but occurs more proabably under such conditions....

Well, I'll try some more testing, updates and most importantly some
other machines (Yes I own only one :( ) and see what happens.

Alex

                            Alexander König - alex_AT_42.fht-esslingen.de
                                                  http://termX.cjb.net

[From the Homer Quotables:] If there was any justice, my face would be on a bunch of crappy merchandise!

-- Homer Simpson Flaming Moe's