Re: [linux-audio-dev] Silly audio problem

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Silly audio problem
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: ti joulu  14 1999 - 09:03:41 EST

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Billy Biggs wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I've got an ens1370 card (AudioPCI) and am using ALSA 0.4.1h (debian potato
> package).
>
> The problem is this: The sound on the receiving end sounds really awful,
> then switches and sounds good for a while, but then sometimes falls back to
> sounding awful again. The bass gets this big rumbling sound and it kinda
> sounds like it's clipping. Definitely sounds chunky.

I have a Soundblaster 128 PCI (1370) in my dual Celeron box, and I am
experiencing audio quality problems too:

This happens with the 2.2.12 kernel of RH 6.1 using the standard OSS drivers.
(no ALSA)

The sampled sound contains clicks at regular intervals but only in the left
channel and if the input level gets big enough, but without clipping. (I'm
using the microphone input).

I tried to sample some audio under win98 and the audio results perfect on both
channels. (I used the soundrecorder of windoze)
I don't know if this is a problem related to fullduplex, I haven't tried to
sample in halfduplex mode.

But what is for sure is that my code isn't buggy
I only do
while(1)
{
  read() from /dev/dsp
  write() to /dev/dsp
}

(of course preloading the DAC with a full buffersize write() before entering
the while.
Any thoughts ?

Benno.