Re: [linux-audio-dev] Cool synth patches?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Cool synth patches?
From: Billy Biggs (vektor_AT_DIV8.NET)
Date: su joulu  19 1999 - 19:26:20 EST

div_AT_sreal.and.av.com (div_AT_sreal.and.av.com):

> Most of the "synthetic" sounds (ie: not trying to imitate real-world
> instruments) were created by more-or-less random experimentation from
> what I've heard.

  Sure it's through experimentation, but usually within a certain set of
parameters. If I sit down at a synth to create a lush pad sound, I can usually
do it. And given a set pf parameters a synth lets me edit, I can usually think
of what sorts of sounds I could make.

  If you're looking to learn how to create sounds, it is difficult to figure it
all out without being able to hear your changes in realtime. However, what you'd
want to look for would be articles or books on different types of synthesis.

  Interesting forms of sound synthesis would be:
    - Analog synthesis (old synths, and now lots of new digital emulations)
    - FM synthesis (like an Adlib card.. or an old DX7)
    - Additive synthesis (really strange, maybe you can find a Kawai K5 cheap)

  There doesn't seem to be many good softsynths for Linux though, but fear not,
since there aren't many good softsynths anywhere. The best way to learn about
synthesis is to buy a synth, and preferably one that's good for editing.

--
Billy Biggs                         vektor_AT_div8.net
http://www.div8.net/billy       wbiggs_AT_uwaterloo.ca