Re: [linux-audio-dev] 24 bits, 2's complement - help!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] 24 bits, 2's complement - help!
From: Bill Gribble (grib_AT_cs.utexas.edu)
Date: su tammi  16 2000 - 10:24:58 EST

Juhana Sadeharju <kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi> writes:
> Tables are probably no no; specially if used in driver.

I agree. Dithering should not be done in the driver at all, I think.
If an application wants to support high-quality word-length reduction
using RPDF dither, noise-shaped dither, or any other fancy technique,
that application should open the audio device in the
higher-word-length mode and perform the dithering at the user level.

It would be a big, big plus for Linux pro-audio developers to have an
open-source library of high-quality word-length reduction algorithms
handy. In commercial systems, the availablity of dither is a
significant price booster and the availability of multiple dither PDFs
is (while perfectly useful and easy to do) only something you see in
the really high-end (with a few exceptions, like the Symetrix 620).

Bill Gribble