Re: [linux-audio-dev] 24 bits, 2's complement - help!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] 24 bits, 2's complement - help!
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: ma tammi  17 2000 - 05:47:40 EST

>From: Benno Senoner <sbenno_AT_gardena.net>
>
>yea, an opensource dithering/shaping library would be great,

Sonic Flow has an initiative for such library. They don't have patented
higher order shapers but it is a good start.

>But explain me please why tables are a no-no ?
>if you generate a few secs of white noise, and let the noise play in a loop,
>you can't almost not detect that there is a loop, you should hear

Reading memory is slower than such simple computations.
And, you get a longer period with random number generators.

You mention the /dev/urandom. Has it been tested in any way? How good it is?
It might work ok if we need a random number once in a few seconds but
because we need it at very fast rates (even several multiples of sampling
rate!) it may fail badly.

Yours,

Juhana