Re: [linux-audio-dev] kernel upgrade question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] kernel upgrade question
From: Takashi Iwai (iwai_AT_ww.uni-erlangen.de)
Date: ti tammi  18 2000 - 09:53:14 EST

<dlphilp_AT_bright.net> said:

> 2.) I would like to install the latest ALSA package (0.5.0). Is there
> a preferred kernel number for that package ?

I experienced a compile error on 2.2.10 (or a little older one)
regarding to byteswap.h. It was fixed on the latestr version.
I recommend the latest, 2.2.14.

> 3.) Any other relevant suggestions before I go ahead with the upgrade
> ?

Subtle things:
- The latest module-utils should be used, too. Ver.2.2-pre* had a
  serious bug which causes SEGFAULT. The patched version may be found
  (at least SuSE had). Note that modutils-2.3 can be used even for
  2.2.x kernel. I'm using the same binary both on 2.2.14 and 2.3.38
  kernels.
- The name of module config file is /etc/modules.conf.
  /etc/conf.modules is obsolete.
- "include" command /etc/modules.conf seems still buggy.
- Routing for loopback device is no longer necessary.
- Pay attention if you copy the old /etc/conf.modules.
  binfmt alias (e.g. for a.out exec files) was changed.
- The latest ksymoops is out of kernel source tree. Get it from
        ftp://ftp.ocs.com.au/pub/ksymoops

Hope this helps you.

--
Takashi Iwai / iwai_AT_ww.uni-erlangen.de
Department of Materials Science