Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)
From: Eli Brandt (eli_AT_gong.music.cs.cmu.edu)
Date: ke tammi  26 2000 - 09:17:29 EST

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> True, right now, the language (Csound) is horrible, which is why
> Quasimodo has various hooks to plug in one or more different
> languages. But in every case, we end up running the code through a
> fairly specialized compiler and get down to thread code (linked lists
> of function pointers) along with an inlined arithmetic/boolean logic
> implementation. The inner loop is obviously written in a native
> language as well.

I'm thinking this is like bytecode except not smashed flat: you want
to have the bulk of your inner loop's work happen inside a library
call (an opcode, here), because otherwise you lose on overhead. In
Csound this is entangled with the fact that when you have to program
something there's no opcode for, you probably have to set kr=ar too.

The sort of programming I'm particularly interested in is musical DSP,
i.e. writing new opcodes using a high-level language. (If I never do
it in C again it'll be too soon.) I don't imagine there's any way to
have an efficient interpreter for such a language.

--
     Eli Brandt  |  eli+@cs.cmu.edu  |  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~eli/