Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] NeXT

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] NeXT
From: Fredrik (aeonek_AT_home.se)
Date: ke tammi  26 2000 - 18:46:37 EST

> I miss
> Objevtive-C a great deal, or rather, I miss the old NeXT
> class heirarchy. Has anyone seen the Apple OS-X "next-like" developement
> kit: is it in Objective-C?

Yes. You can choose between Java (byte-compiled and non-portable), ObjC (just like NeXT, it's the same API) and C++ (limited support, e.g. no subclassing of Appkit and Foundation objects).

But a better alternative IMHO would be GNUstep (www.gnustep.org). It's not finished yet, but it will use the same API as NeXT/OPENSTEP, and it's free. GNUstep will most likely evolve into a complete desktop/development enviroment, with free clones of NeXT acclaimed development tools (Project Builder/Interface Builder). Coupled with the DPS/X extension that is also under development, it will be a Unix GUI/Application framework that will make KDE/Gnome look like cheap windows clones IMHO.

    /Fredrik