Re: [linux-audio-dev] BeOS everywhere

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] BeOS everywhere
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ke tammi  26 2000 - 20:25:21 EST

>> I think that a problem is in some limitation of standard audio interface in
>> Linux (I mean OSS). There are no support for multi-stream hardware (16 and
>> more hardware streams), no standard support for hardware acceleration.
>
>Well, Paul Barton-Davis has recently added support for the RME
>Hammerfall card (24 channels each of input and output) to ALSA and had
                  ^^
                  26!

>to blaze some new territory in the design of such an interface. Most
>of the multichannel IO cards' manufacturers are not forthcoming with
>programming information;

This is about to change. Alesis have come over to our side already,
and as Dan has reported, we now have IC Ensemble, whose chips run
quite a number of high-end cards, are also helping ALSA out. There may
be more news from RME soon, too.

So watch out.

>ALSA (the best real open-source audio drivers for Linux) ONLY comes as
>modules. No kernel recompile necessary.

actually, it can now be built into the kernel as well.

>The only real issue is that hardware manufacturers need to wake up and
>realize that they can only gain by documenting their hardware.

Amen.

--p