Re: [linux-audio-dev] tricks wanted for buffer cache optimization

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] tricks wanted for buffer cache optimization
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: ma tammi  31 2000 - 20:46:01 EST

>From: Paul Barton-Davis <pbd_AT_Op.Net>
>
>its just a stupid software patent for read-ahead. they grab the first
>(5?) seconds of a sample before playback. sigh.

I'm sure that is covered in those Lucas Film papers on their system.
I guess their system trickers sound effects instead of synth sounds.

What is the date of the patent? I have not that patent available for
viewing at the moment.

I "invented" (sounds corny) a virtual memory system with whistles and bells
(prefetching) purposedly for use with audiofiles around '90. If the patent
dates earlier than that, then we should continue reading those papers.
(I even mailed a short notice on it to Octave list around '94.)

Juhana