Re: [linux-audio-dev] gdk_input_add freezing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] gdk_input_add freezing
From: rob (rob_AT_kaybee.org)
Date: pe helmi  04 2000 - 19:24:45 EST

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, David Topper wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've got a little app. with a bunch of sliders that I also use to read
> in midi data. I use the following syntax to make it all work:
>
> /* MIDI */
> midi_fd = MIDI_open();
> gdk_input_add (midi_fd,
> GDK_INPUT_READ,
> GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC(cb_midi_parse),
> NULL);
>
> This worked just fine a few months back, on a machine with a sound card
> and OSS midi. Now I'm using my laptop with a serial midi device.
> Things are slightly different in how I open the port and whatnot, but
> not anything that should make a difference to GTK/GDK.

         my keyboard's modwheel if not physically zero'ed out will send cc
bytes to the midiport forever, so something like that might be happening.
with regard to the larger design issue, i think you have two ways you
might want to go about it: you can use a timeout call, and then call the
parser routine every howevermany ms you want, or you can create a
seperate thread to only put them into a buffer for the rest of your app
to use.
                                rob

----
Rob Melby
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt4255a
Internet: rob_AT_kaybee.org, gt4255a_AT_prism.gatech.edu