Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ma helmi  07 2000 - 14:19:46 EST

>Correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't have access to a protools studio
>at the moment :)...I *believe* that when you apply an effects plugin
>to a track in ProTools, unless you render the result to a track,
>it's basically as if you've just routed an effects send to an
>external processor. You can record, edit, whatever, and you don't
>have to think about that effect anymore.
>
>You would be really annoyed if you then started to overdub a new
>track and it ignored all your effects loops because the recorder
>didn't think its job included FX routing!
>
>You'd then be forced to render all the processed tracks to new temp.
>tracks... yuck, kludge. you should never be forced to do that until
>you run out of DSP power.

This is where I have to start to get specific about what I'm doing My
goal right now is to write software for me (and jim) to use at
Rittenhouse Recording. In that setup, we have the Mackie D8B and
currently 3 Alesis M20's. The issue of FX sends is *totally* internal
to the D8B - we are not currently using any external processing at all
(the D8B has its own DSP chips and its own plugins, some of them very
nice).

In the near term, I would like to keep things this way as much as
possible because it means that we can move incrementally and stably.
Yes, it means not using Linux for processing at this time, but given
that we don't even a workable soundfile editor, thats the least of my
concerns.

In the long run, perhaps we really do need a ProTools-like
environment, in which everything happens "in the same place".

Meanwhile, I think that the Mackie HDR is an interesting example for
me. Its basically a dedicated HDR device, but it happens to plugin to
a keyboard and a monitor, and has its own non-destructive editing
system "under the hood". You don't need to deal with the editing
system while recording, but when you do edit, you're totally connected
to the playback (and record) side of the h/w. OTOH, you don't need to
use their editor at all - you could just record on the HDR and then
pump it into ProTools if you preferred working with that. This may be
the direction that I need to take ardour in, since I can work on the
recording/overdub/playback side of it mostly independently of any
eventual editor that might become a part of it.

--p