[linux-audio-dev] Simple question?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Simple question?
From: Scott C. Knight (scknight_AT_indiana.edu)
Date: ma helmi  07 2000 - 17:14:37 EST

        Hi, I just had a couple quick questions about some general audio
stuff. Im just getting my feet wet when It comes to audii, but I love
music and I love programing, so I leanr fast. My questions have to do with
playing sound files, I can deal with differnet sound file formats fine and
getting the info I need out of them, but what sort of data type should I
store the actual waveform data in? I have seen a couple differnt ways by
differnt programs. Im pretty sure some sort of pointer and then a mallac
size to fit the data but what type? Ive seen LONG, int16_t all sorts of
stuff. My second question has to do with playing sounds files of any sort
of size. Whats the ebst way to play sound files, Ive been able to just
write simple programs that read a sound file, call the encesary ioctl
calls to set up the sound driver and then jsut write the whole uadio
buffer and it works, But Im sure its not the best way. Whats the most
common way? Splitting it up into smaller buffers and playing each one as
it goes on. Im thinking of trying to just play around and write some
simple sound editors or virtual sampler jsut for fun of leanring how to do
it. Any and all help is apprecaited, and If theres any web pages or
anyhting that might be useful thatd be good too. Or if anyone knows of a
good program, reading source code I find is the best way to learn. Thanks
a lot.

        Scott Knight