Re: [linux-audio-dev] Software filter engines for high end audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Software filter engines for high end audio
From: sbenno_AT_em.gardena.net
Date: ke helmi  16 2000 - 06:53:59 EST

> I plan to use the filter in software driven room correction systems, and
> in fact I have already a working prototype based on the WFIR filter, found
> at http://www.ludd.luth.se/~torger/filter.html. Complete with an MLS
> measuring system. All GPL'd of course. I'd love to get comments and
> questions about the system :-)
>
> The plan is to make a room correction system based on the FIR filter
> later, which will be able to correct phase problems, as well as magnitude.
> The current system does not correct phase.
>
> I find this area very interesting, since it is possible to make your Linux
> machine (which must be rather fast, I use a dual P2 266, one processor per
> channel) into a room correction system that is on par or surpasses
> commercial systems that cost around 4000 US dollars. The problem so far
> has been the lack of quality digital I/O cards for Linux, but soon we will
> have a driver for RME Digi96, the best alternative (price/performance) I
> have found for two channel systems.
>
> /Anders Torger

very interesting :-)

It would be nice to know how much better the price/performance ratio
of your solution is compared to the $4000 hardware.

would this hardware be enough:
- Dual Celeron with Abit Motherboad
- 64MB of RAM
- cheap gfx card (or leave it out completely)
- cheap hd
- Dig96

I don't know how much the Digi96 costs, but do you think
you can achieve a $1000-$2000 price ?

Just like I predicted ... some "standalone audio equipement" will sooner or
later run Linux. (because of the excellent price/performance ratio)
:-)

Benno.