Re: [linux-audio-dev] ecasound, ecawave, etc...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ecasound, ecawave, etc...
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: ma helmi  21 2000 - 17:53:40 EST

>From: Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi>
>
>Can you specify what you mean by 'development' and 'coding'?

Ok. By development I mean that people are willing to discuss about
features and implementation before doing anything. Some people simply
don't have time for coding (because they have real work) but could still
help. My GASP project was an attempt on that but I guess it has failed now.

I think many succesful software authors can be qualified as coders: they
can quickly start with something which works, and later improve it
bit by bit. GIMP could serve as an example what then might happen:
a lot of code should completely rewritten just because something
crusial is forgotten. Audiotechque was solely coders' project.

>You're making it a bit too simple. My aim for ecawave rel1 was quite low.

Actually my goal for the first release is too very low: basic editing
of waves. It just happen that such system needs a separate audio engine,
libraries for concurrent processing, complex edit list, etc. and there
are not yet a plug-in system and effects -- I save them to release 2.

>Well, I just can't disagree more. If project stays "underground" (ie.
>no stable, usable releases) for years, it won't attract other developers.

I know that ;-)

>Well, there are lots of interesting projects out there. You have
>to prove that your program is worth other developer's attention.
>This is easier if you have a working public release.

That is a problem. If I now release the code, it may disattract people.
Software should be enough ready to attract anything. Better still keep
it underground but only request help on simple things.

Juhana